Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Delhi's Jantar Mantar





Yesterday I took time to visit Delhi's Jantar Mantar. It's a fascinating place in Cannaught Place that I don't remember ever visiting. I have visited the Jaipur's Jantar Mantar when I was in engineering college and I was very impressed. Few month's back I saw "Story of Mathematics" and in which DeSutoy visits Jaipur's observatory and explains some of the instruments. It was enchanting. So I think that somehow programmed my subconcious mind to make a visit to this ancient astronomical observatory. Funny thing is lot of people associate Jantar Mantar with "bhool bhulaiya" a famous maze kind of building having the ability to make you loose your sense of direction.

I personally feel every child should be taken to this observatory and there should be tour guides to help you show how some of those massive instruments work. Its breath taking to see all those scales etched and laid so precisely to help you calculate astronomical data.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter